You can see all the pictures at:
www.travelacrossus.shutterfly.com

You can see previous entries at:
www.travelacrossus.blogspot.com

Sunday, February 3, 2013

Week 10

January 28th – February 3rd 2013

To start with something nice and relaxing on Monday, we drove down to the coast (about half an hour). We were actually going to the Pebble Beach (small beach half way between Half Moon Bay and Santa Cruz). We stopped at the end of Half Moon Bay, where is a golf resort and hotel. There is some public parking and beach access. It was a bit windy and colder, but sunny and pretty pleasant. We walked around a bit, walked towards the hotel (there was only few people playing golf), there was outdoor fire pit (gas) with the flames dancing in the wind. It was nice.


Again, spring is really here!!! (At least in California.)

We enjoyed the drive, looking around, made few stops and kept going.
We parked at the Pebble Beach. J. went down to the beach, I opened the windows in the car and read. She enjoyed looking and picking shells (and other monkey business). And I was actually falling asleep. Finally I went down to the beach so we could move on.


We drove back couple miles and turned towards Pascadero (historic town). It was one intersection with few shops, one restaurant and pretty much nothing else. We did not stop, but turned again towards what looked like more town. There was a church and some houses. At the end of the town there was a cemetery. (Nice one.) There J. saw signs pointing to the goat farm.
We followed the sign (and several more) to the goat farm. There was a driveway and at the end of it was a fence. Behind were goats. J. (for all her city growing) is somewhat into “farm stuff”. I guess actually doing it for living would set her back in reality, but … There was small store, we went in (obviously) and talked to the lady for about half an hour (mainly J.). It was interesting, in the attic was big table (24 chairs) for farm dinners. Really nice.


At that point, it was almost four o'clock and we wanted to drive across the hills on this small road. So we did (there was nice park on the hilltops that we wanted to visit) drive this twisty tiny road. It was really nice, we started with farm land and wineries, entered the forest and on hilltops saw incredible views of the country.
We were thinking about going to SF, but J. was going to work for next 4 days, so we went to the open space preserve instead. Nice relaxing nature. The drive was somewhat longer (and surprisingly twisty), it was about 7 miles of 280 freeway in Palo Alto. But it was nice, there were some views of the bay along the bay and at the end, there was nice parking lot.


When I was pulling in J. told me there is funny bumper sticker on the only other car there. We got out and looked and it was more then hilarious.
After we stopped laughing, we checked the map and started walking. There was a small detour and from that point, we had some incredible views of the bay and the city. It was nice and sunny day, so we could probably see as far as possible.

We picked few interconnected trails and made pretty nice circle (about 3.5 miles). There was even small trail describing effects of the earthquake. It was pretty interesting. We were apparently walking on the top of the fault. We met two older ladies from the funny car and one of them had children who went to University of Michigan (there was the reason for the sticker). It was not really steep area, so it was pretty nice and pleasant walk.


We drove home via Skyline boulevard. It was longer and took more time, but it was really nice day and we enjoyed nice forest, exquisite views and sunshine.

The rest of the week J. had to work. On Friday I took the train to San Francisco, waited forever for the light rail to the Ocean Beach. It took about 45 minutes to cross the city. It was somewhat interesting, there was not too many people on the train, but all the stopping made me kind of sick. Though I still enjoyed the ride. I rode the train to the last station, got off the train, cross the road and was standing on the beach. It was pretty cool.


My plan was to walk along the coast to the Golden Gate bridge and then back to the city. It looked pretty nice and possible (maybe 7-8 miles). This way I was as well going to see how hard or easy it will be to drive around (looked pretty easy, plenty of parking). Pretty soon I got to the area, where used to be some bath houses or spas. There were some left over ruins next to the ocean.

Shortly after that I finally started to see Golden Gate Bridge.
There was the trail going all the way from SF Zoo to the Golden Gate, from there you could continue on the promenade. It was pretty, for the most of the time I saw the ocean, later I had the bridge in front of me. There was few residential streets that I had to walk through. There were actual lawns and the front yards. Many of those houses had ocean views. I later looked online and those houses are going for at least 4 millions dollars.


There was as well this funny trail sign (would be interesting to walk to Mexico).
As I said, for most of the walk I could see the bridge, so I have many pictures. There was few steep parts of the road, but otherwise it was pretty nice. I took couple of detours (not planned), got a bit lost between the houses, but nothing too bad. I was hoping that I could walk along the beach and underneath the bridge, but it did not look god, so I did not try. I started to walk at ten o'clock so by noon it was getting pretty warm. Probably by that time, I got to the bridge. There was a trail along the old batteries and under the bridge. There was more people, but it was still fine.

I dropped down to the Golden Gate Bridge promenade and walked towards the city. Unfortunately there was many more people (still probably not as bad as weekend) and it was slightly less enjoyable. Again, the views of the bay, now Alcatraz and the city were really amazing. 
I was still fine so I have decided just to walk to the train station. I figured I would cross the city. So I left the ocean and started to walk up. Up. Up. It was steep street. But there were people, shops and restaurants and it felt like real city (Europe). San Mateo has two streets as a downtown district with bunch of shops and restaurants, but it does not feel like real city. The same was for Sunnyvale. There is a street or two with “downtown”, but it is kind of strange. San Francisco has many “real areas of the city”. It is hard to describe. But I did really enjoy it (even I was walking up).
The views down the street were great. Looking down and enjoying it. It took a while to get on the top of the hill. I left the shopping area behind me and walked through the residential part.
It was nice to be finally down with going up. I was going to pass through Japan town. When I got there, it was somewhat disappointing. There were some stores and bunch of flags on the street lights, but it looked kind of deserted and strange. I found small square with interesting structure and extensive shopping in two big buildings (I did not go in, I left it for another day with J.).
At that time, I started to have enough and just followed the shortest way to the train station. I walked through Little Saigon (many homeless people), a bit messy and run down. I got on the Market street and was surprised, it looked really bad. Few boarded up buildings, many homeless people, mess and lack of people. It felt a bit scary. I walked there three blocks to get on Fifth street and I could see how pass that point there was so many people. That was the tourist area, I was apparently somewhere else. Well, I guess that happens. I got on the train and left for home. It was really nice trip. After I ate and took shower (and did pretty much nothing for the rest of the day), I discovered that I walked about 14.5 miles. Good for me.
On Sunday, I dropped J. off at work and drove up Page Mill road (the same place as Los Trancos Preserve). Across the road, there was Monte Bello Preserve. It was still dark and I drove up that funny twisty road. When I got there, parking lots were still locked (7 am), so I had to park along the road. It was cold. I was going to follow the trail described in the book of hikes in Bay area. It was a bit foggy in the distance, otherwise just nice, quiet and really peaceful.

I was not really going to take pictures, but when I got a bit further from the road, it started to look really interesting. The fog was creating some great images and I was surprised by those magical looks. For over two miles I walked downhill. The aim was a mountain top – Black mountain. I was walking along side rolling hills, the gray sky still playing with the fog could not decide about the fate of the day. I could see a small house on the edge of Skyline Boulevard. There has to be something really special about living on the top of the canyon. There were lonely trees on many small hill tops and they were quietly singing in the slowly moving fog. It was still cold and even the lizard could not really move. I almost stepped on him, then took a picture and he really did not want to move. A minute later, I found a picture of “food chain in nature”. As much as a human enjoys the nature's setting (like this one) and cares about the balance, at a moment he is able to bring a bulldozer and ….

I crossed couple of trails and the Indian trail was the one leading to the mountain top. It was more like a fire road. Steep one. I had a jacket off and still I was sweating and running out of breath. I was still surrounded by rolling fog. I can imagine the views during the day are pretty, but those images of fog covering most of the landscape and moving around were beyond imaginable.


Almost on the top, there was an area for backpack camping. And actually, there was one tent. The foggy images changed at this point. I started to see sun and some blue sky. It was somewhat strange. How all that was blending together. I had less then 0.3 miles to get to the top (there was communication tower, more like big yard with bunch of thingies around, fenced). It was actually sunny with blue sky on the top of the mountain (2812 feet). Going up I passed guy going down. There was couple people on bicycles and another couple walking. It was like a public square. But the views of the valley completely filled with fluffy white fog were beyond amazing and beyond description.




I took different trails back to the parking area. From there I could see that the valley is actually pretty small. On the trail below me I even saw a mountain lion. And above me, at one point, I saw about 8 deers just looking at me. After enjoying full sun on the top, I got lost in the fog again (and met few more people).



And I was back at the parking lot. There was 5 cars. It was incredible walk. I walked across the road and up the hill so I could see the city (that was Los Trancos). There was few clouds, but I could still see the city. Drive down and home. There was so many people on bicycles (going up luckily) on the road.

This is the description of the walk I took from the hiking book.